BMW 5 Series (E39) Service Manual: 1997-2002 (2 volume set) ~ by Publisher
- Covers Models: 525i, 528i, 530i, 540i, Sedan & Wagon,
* 6-cylinder engines: M52, M52 TU, M54
* V-8 engines: M62, M62 TU Fuel injection systems covered in this BMW repair manual:
* Bosch M 5.2, M 5.2.1, ME 7.2
* Siemens MS 41.0, MS 42.0, MS 43.0 Manual transmissions covered in this BMW repair manual:
* Getrag S5D 250G, S6S 420G
* ZF S5D 320Z Automatic transmissions covered in this BMW repair manual:
* A4S 270R, A4S 310R
* A5S 360R, A5S 390R
* A5S 325Z
* A5S 560Z, A5S 440Z Technical highlights:
* Procedures from the basic oil change service to interpreting the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). This manual tells you what to do and how and when to do it.
* Engine and cylinder head service, including camshaft timing chain setup and adjustment.
* Information for specific driveability problems, including explanation of engine management systems and BMW OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
* Theory of operation and repair information for the Siemens and Bosch engine management systems.
* Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair of self-adjusting clutch (SAC), gearshift linkage, driveshaft, and drive axles.
* Manual and automatic transmission removal, installation, seal replacement and external service.
* System description and repair information for Antilock Brakes (ABS), Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).
* Heating and air conditioning repair (IHKA and IHKR), including component replacement.
* Body adjustments and repairs, including sunroof and tailgate.
* Wiring schematics and extensive electrical component section specifying relay, control module and ground locations with detailed illustrations and photos.